Monday, July 2, 2012

Limits

I love quotes. Apparently, I'm not the only one because quotes find themselves on calenders, websites, and starting off speeches. I think a great quote can give us a window into a mindset, or a viewpoint that I hadn't considered before. Sometimes they're not all great ones, even though they sound positive. Here's one I saw the other day:

"When you put limits on your life in one area, it seeps into all other areas of your life. There are no limits."
-Bruce Lee

Sounds great doesn't it? The whole "no limits" thing certainly isn't a Bruce Lee brand original concept, but is it true? Not really. I can't jump off a cliff and fly to the moon, no matter how much I think about it positively. I'll never be able to lift a Buick and toss it over a wall no matter how much I go to the gym. Even Bruce Lee found out there are limits on how much iron a man can ingest before it kills him. 

The truth is that there are limits to what we can do, but many times we imagine the limits are much lower than they actually are, or fail to see that we have many more options available to us than we actually have because of fears, ignorance, or just plain laziness. Frankly, some goals are just not worth our limited time and energy, and that's okay too. The key is to focus on what we really want, see our limitations clearly, and work around them. I like this quote better.
 
"A man's gotta know his limitations"
-The Stranger (played by Clint Eastwood)
Fistful of Dollars.

Yeah, I know he said it later in one of the Dirty Harry movies, but he was paying homage to that movie when he said it. Most things have limitations. Including this post.     

No comments:

Post a Comment